We start this Monday with an interview with Claudia Faniello, the Maltese candidate. She will represent her country with the song Breathlessly, composed by Philip Vella, Sean Vella and written by Gerard James Borg.
1. What does it mean to you to represent your country at the Eurovision Song Contest?
It’s definitely an honour to be able to represent my country in a contest which is a favourite amongst our public. I have been working for this since 2006 so I guess it has been one of my biggest aspirations from a young age. This also because I supported my brother Fabrizio twice in 2001/6 so it’s also kind of a family thing.
2. Explain the message behind Breathlessly.
Breathlessly is a very emotional song that speaks about our journey in life, how we should appreciate all the things we go through in life and live them breathlessly. Those same experience mould us into who we are today.
3. When did you start singing?
I started singing at around 10/12 years old, however I took my career seriously at the age of 17.
4. Have you got any favourite Eurovision song of all the time?
I guess my favorite winner of Eurovision is 2007 Molitva. A beautiful ballad.
5. Who are your musical inspirations?
I have had many inspirations, starting from my brother Fabrizio, Madonna, Savage Garden, HIM, Florence & the Machine …. and many others.
6. Can you tell us a bit about the outfit you’ll be wearing on stage?
It’s a gorgeous garment which represents the intimacy of the song.
7. What accomplishment are you the most proud of?
Definitely representing my country this year is one of my biggest accomplishments.
8. If you had a soundtrack to your life what song would have to be on it?
Life is a rollercoaster is the best title ever.
9. You are an experienced artist into the song festivals ambience. Do you still have pressure when you compete?
Not really, I’ve enjoyed to make the most of it, focus on my performance & just enjoy the ride. I do get excited but I try to channel it in a positive way.
10. What can we expect to see on stage for the Eurovision performance?
Emotions, simplicity and authenticity.
Thank you for your time, Claudia! And good luck in Kyiv!
Don’t forget to follow the Eurovision journey with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!